HOW TO OVERCOME ANGER
The webster Dictionary defines anger as: “A strong feeling that you have when something that you think is bad and unfair happen. In other words, anger is a normal emotional feeling just like happiness, sadness, fear, surprise. but when anger is not properly controlled can lead to abnormality in our behavior towards a situations and people. Uncontrolled anger could lead fighting, say and do things we would have not said or done otherwise.
The bible says in Ephesians 4:26 (NIV)
26 “In your anger do not sin”[a]: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry,
We are confronted daily with situations which tempt use to act or talk with anger.
Some symptoms of anger includes:
- Frowning Face
- Yelling at other
CAUSES OF ANGER
Many factors influence people to get angry toward circumstances. In other words, people react to issues based on their perceptions and philosophy. So, the cause of anger for one person may not apply to the other.
However, some familiar causes of anger include:
- Loss of a loved one
- Abuse; physical and emotional abuse.
- Spirit of rejection or Low self esteem.
- Being offended by, a friend, family member, or an unknown person
- Being unable to meet up to personal resolutions and career plans.
- Denied a position when you think you are more qualified than the one who was chosen.
CONSEQUENCES OF ANGER
Uncontrolled anger affects both our physical and mental health. More importantly, anger is detrimental to our spiritual life as it hinders us from expressing the fruit of the Spirit, which is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, and temperance: (Galatians 5:22-23)
Some common effects of anger include:
- Yelling at the person
- Doing the right thing with the wrong approach.
- Broken relationships.
- Uncontrol talking without listening.
- Inability to pray
- Transfer of Aggression
- Bitterness and grieve
- Inability to concentrate or mental disorder.
- Attitude of revenge
When you are angry, you cannot express God’s righteousness
Our inability to control ourselves when offended or annoyed reveals our spiritual immaturity
Proverbs 16:32 says,
32 He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; And he that ruleth his spirit, than he that taketh a city.
Some anger scriptures
- Ephesians 4:26-31. 26 “In your anger do not sin” : Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold. 28 Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need.
- James 1:19-20. 19 My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.
- Proverbs 29:11. 11 Fools give full vent to their rage, but the wise bring calm in the end.
Anger is addressed only as an emotional issue from the world’s perspective, therefore different psychological therapies are designed to help the victims. But from God’s perspective anger is not only a psychological problem but spiritual as well. We are commanded in scripture to get rid of anger because it is a sin to stay angry.
Ephesians 4:31-32 (NIV) says
“Get rid of all bitterness, rage, and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you”.
- In order to deal with anger, we must first have the right perception concerning anger. We must see and define it in line with the scriptures not how we feel.
- Then there must be the willingness to change. Nothing will change in our lives independent of our corporation.
“Come now, let us reason together,” says the LORD. “Though your sins are like scarlet, they will be as white as snow; though they are as red as crimson, they will become like wool. If you are willing and obedient; you will eat the best of the land”. Isaiah 1:18-19
Take responsibility and stop the blame game
Most often people blame their offenders for reacting with anger. But if you want to change, you must be accountable for your own actions.
- We must cultivate building an intimate relationship with God, therein your flesh or the old man is dominated.
- You must practice self-control in all situations. The way to overcome evil is to do Good.
Romans 12: 21 says, “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”
Maybe you have been trying to overcome anger but to no avail; you make new years resolutions but your break your vows some days before the end of January.. You feel so frustrated. I HAVE GOOD NEWS FOR YOU!
Jesus says in Matthew 11:28-30:
“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
When you come to Christ his Word will become the standard for your living, the holy spirit will start giving you the strength to resist anger.
WOULD YOU LOVE TO GIVE YOUR LIFE TO CHRIST